Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday WTF?: Words that don't Exist

Have you ever known someone who uses a word or phrase regularly that makes absolutely no sense? A young man I know was talking about working out and said he wanted to get swole

I said, "What? Don't you mean swollen?"

"No, you know, swole. Like I want my arms to get big."

"Ooookay, well swole is not a word."

And the argument digressed from there until I was laughing my ass off. Then a few days later I saw a muscle car in our neighborhood with "Team Swole" painted on it and realized the younger generation is truly full of idiots. 

However, I soon came to realize I'm also guilty of making up words. When my oldest was very small I would tell her to let me "put her hair up". She morphed that phrase into calling the plastic ties for her hair "hair-ups". Now everyone in our family calls them that without a second thought. Ah well, to each his own.


No comments:

Post a Comment