Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Character Review #4: Lord Tynan, the Dark Chieftain of the Tuatha De' Dananns

This week for character review #4, I've chosen to step into the world of the Fae by talking about Lord Tynan, the Dark Chieftan of the Tuatha De' Dananns, in R. Garland Gray's Predestined. Tynan is the hero in the first book of the Fairy Faith series and an interesting character. Aside from having an awesome cover, Tynan's book is a good fantasy read. There is romance, a struggle between good and evil, pissed off, spoiled Fae and an interesting garment made of webbing. What more could you ask for?

When it comes to the Fae I've read a few different versions. Some authors keep their characters mysterious and arrogant. Some make them playful and charming. Gray adds a little bit of everything in her main characters by making them descendants of Fae. They have attributes of the fair ones but don't stick to a strict set of features I've read of in other Faerie stories. I think Tynan is a good mix of leader, warrior and faerie liberator. His destiny is predetermined but he doesn't let it rule him. Once he meets Bryna, and his destiny is set in motion, he makes his own path through the obstacles they encounter to "set the land aright".

Overall, I really liked this character. He is strong physically and emotionally, he is intelligent and cunning. And best of all, he has long black hair and a well-muscled body. Two of my favorite features in a hero ;-)

This is book one and I was lucky enough to read book two as well. I highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys a good faerie tale. So, the question of today is how do you like your Fae? Do you prefer the silent, serious type ala JRR Tolkien and Laurell K Hamilton? Or, do you prefer the playful types that like to be a little bit naughty with their local humans? Recommend your favorite faerie read in a comment below and you're entered to win Predestined. Please include your email address.
Good Luck!

3 comments:

  1. lol, this is a good question. I am caught between Laurel K Hamilton's Merry Gentry series and Melissa Marr's Wicked Series, seriously they are both excellent reads. hmmmm, I guess it would depend on the day, mood, you know do I want something to stir my blood or just a really great read...
    As to Predestined it sounds really good, I love books about fae, fairy tales and the like. Build wise, yeah muscular, not to peticular between blonde or black hair. :) It would be if he made me like him, made me think of yeah she is one lucky girl! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm i have not read many books that have to do with Fae. Recently i read Sierra Dean's Forever Vampire that had some Fae parts and i know there was one other i read that was Fae but i can't even remember what that one was called. I haven't given that genre must thought yet i guess. Seems i might need to check more into that.

    Lisa B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for chiming in, ladies, I appreciate your response. And now for the winner (sorry I don't have two copies to give out)...
    Lisa! You're my winner thanks to random.org. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm about to let you know via Twitter ;-)

    ReplyDelete