Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Why I'm Walking

Before January 11th of this year, I didn't know diddly squat about Juvenile (Type1) Diabetes. My mom has type 2 diabetes and I always suspected I would eventually be diagnosed with it as well (I was a few months ago), but Type 1 wasn't something I ever gave any thought to. I knew Nick Jonas has it, as well as a slew of other celebrities and a few sports figures. Imagine my surprise when my then seven year old was diagnosed as well.
My daughter Alice Jane has Juvenile Diabetes, and her diagnosis was a real eye-opener. Most moms will do anything to take away their children's aches and pains, but what do you do when you simply can't? The entire family has gotten much better at our eating habits. We ALL know how to read nutrition labels now. And, everyone does their part to ensure Alice takes her medicine every single day.
So, what else can we do? Not much really. There are still an amazing number of unknowns associated with this disease. And that brings me to the point of this blog. This weekend my family will be walking in the JDRF walk to raise funds for Type 1 diabetes research. 
I know right now the economy sucks and extra money doesn't exactly exist. But, can you go one day this week without Starbucks? Can you not buy that e-book until next payday? (Even if it's mine?) All I'm asking for is one single dollar. Our team goal is only $500. I have almost that many Facebook friends and nearly double that followers on Twitter. So, the way I figured it is if everyone pitches in $1, meeting our goal should be no problem. What do you say? I really hope a cure is closer and this step helps.
http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR/Walk-TX/Chapter-HoustonGulfCoast4644?px=1770228&pg=personal&fr_id=1484

No comments:

Post a Comment