Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2012

SK Saturday: The Drawing of the Three

I'll be honest, at the time of writing this post I'm only about halfway done with this installment in The Dark Tower series. Of course, I've read them before. And now that I've started over again the rusty wheels in my memory are turning and details are slowly coming back to me. That's not the reason it's taken me much longer to read this one than the first. It's just been a hell of a week.

The Drawing of the Three is not the story of Roland as much as it's a story of his journey and the three he "draws" to embark on the quest with him. There is The Prisoner: Eddie Dean, The Lady of Shadows: Odetta Holmes/Detta Walker, and The Pusher: Jack Mort. These three people become integral to the story each in their own unique way.

Reading this book again reminded me of why I've always admired Eddie Dean. In the whole series I think he is the character who grows the most and goes through the most shit. He loses his brother, he loses his lifestyle, and he is thrown headfirst into an alien world where a city slicker like him would have had a hard time surviving without Roland. Add heroine withdrawal on top of that and he's damn amazing.

I don't remember the ending to this one but plan to finish it by tomorrow. Then my full review will be posted on Goodreads and Shelfari.

No comments:

Post a Comment