Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, January 3, 2011

SK Reading Challenge 2011

This year I've decided to enter my first ever reading challenge with one of my favorite authors of all time as the focus. It's the Book Chic City blog's Stephen King Reading Challenge, as you may have noticed from the button on my sidebar. Why am I doing this? Up until maybe five years ago, SK was the author I read the most. He was the one I lined up at midnight for, and not a single new release of his escaped my notice. I've seriously slacked off. I don't even own Under the Dome or  Full Dar, No Stars  yet. In fact, the past three books I've purchased have sat unread, collecting dust on my TBR shelf for literally years. What the hell happened?

Romance and erotica, that's what, and I fully blame my minion for introducing me to those genres. Actually, I can't really yell at her since reading them turned me to writing in those genres also ;-)
However, I've decided that my long lost love of SK's work must be rekindled this year. I've already lined up the books required to meet the challenge (minimum of six). They are as follows, in no particular order:
  1. Everything Eventual. I think I've actually read this one but can't remember, so have decided to read it again.
  2. Storm of the Century. I've seen the movie (who hasn't?) but have yet to read the book. I can't wait!
  3. Lisey's Story. I remember buying this one and anticipating cracking open the cover. Don't ask me what happened, I have no clue.
  4. Cell. I actually started this one and put it down when life happened. I think we then moved or something crazy and I never picked it up again. There may be a dusty bookmark still embedded within.
  5. Blaze. This is a "Bachman Book". That's all I can remember off the top of my head.
  6. Duma Key. Here's one I don't remember much about, not even the purchase. It may be the first I read though.
  7. Just After Sunset. By the time this one was released I felt snowed under. I knew I was getting way behind on my SK but had too much else going on to fix it.
  8. On Writing and Secret Windows. Ive put these two together because they are about the craft of writing and fall into that weird zone for me that borders non-fiction. I thoroughly enjoy living within my imagination as often as possible and therefore stay away from non-fiction for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a biography or philosophical treatise now and then (no, really). However, I go through genre phases and that one hasn't come back around lately.
So there it is, my list for the Stephen King writing challenge of 2011. As I said before the challenge is to read six and technically I've listed eight. I own all but one of them and may even decide to reread It...again. We'll see. Once I get rolling through SK I might tackle the whole shelf. I'll try to remember to post my progress here.
If you'd like to join me click on the button and follow the rules.
Good Luck!

SK Reading Challenge 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment