Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2012

Friday WTF?: Sexual Revolution of 2012

I've been paying particular attention to the ridiculous amount of debate going on in Congress about women's reproductive rights not just because I'm a woman, but also because I have four daughters. In an article on Yahoo news, it's been pointed out that while Hugh Hefner has made valid statements, he's not the best person to speak on the behalf of women's rights. Seriously? Who else would be sympathetic to women than a man surrounded by them daily? Don't you think all those girlfriends have let him know exactly how women think? The author of the article, Jeff Stacklin, quotes Laura Donovan from The Jane Dough as saying: 
"Though many argue he had a role in the sexual revolution and provided lots of opportunities for women, he also sends the message that it’s acceptable to juggle multiple significant others at once, all the while objectifying them publicly."
Okay, I'll freely admit that not so many years ago I would have fully agreed with her. However, my views on sex have changed drastically. I've come to the realization that I'm a consenting adult and no one can make me feel like a sexual being if I don't want to. In my opinion, Hef's girlfriends aren't forced to be anywhere near him. And I honestly don't think their proximity should affect the way he's seen as an ally on this issue. Hell, I think we need all the allies we can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment