Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Getting Lost in the Shuffle


When I first started writing to get published there was still a stigma against self-publishing. Any "vanity press" caused warning signs to flash in my head. Skip ahead just a few short years and now publishing your own work is the new black. I have absolutely nothing against it and know many authors who have been very successful at it. However, I've decided it's not for me at this time. 

So, what does that mean for me as a small press author? I'm not published through the big six but I do have contracts with three different publishers. All three are well known in the Romance industry and have NY Times Best Selling author's in their lists. I'm very happy being a part of all three but what does that mean for me? Not much lately it seems. Even though I've been more successful on having new releases this year than any previous year, my sales are down. Is it because of my writing? I've no idea.

To be honest I feel I'm getting lost in the shuffle. There are so many authors and books to choose from. I know I'm just one of millions. I don't get many reviews so don't know if my writing just sucks. The few reviews I've had and some reader feedback leads me to believe it doesn't. What I do feel is there is such a push to support "Indie" authors, and so many readers stuck on buying paperbacks from the big six that authors like me are falling through the cracks. The biggest problem is I don't know how to fix this.

Like most authors I do a lot of online promotion for my books. I've got a site and blog (duh) and I'm on Facebook nearly all day every day. I know I'm often preaching to the choir though, as a lot of my interaction is with other authors. I don't really mind. Authors are readers too, right? I know I am. But there comes a point where I have to draw the line on self-promotion. I have to spend time writing too, plus I don't want to spam anyone. So, I'm just going to keep doing my thing and hope my writing speaks for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment