Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Do You Know Raven McAllan?


One of my marvelous friends has a publishing company by the name of Just Ink Press, and they have a new release tomorrow from multi-published author Raven McAllen. So, today I thought I'd treat my readers with an intro to Raven and her work.

Welcome to my blog! Can you please tell the readers a little something about you, such as what genre you write and how many books you have published at this time?


Hi Missy, thanks for inviting me here. I've brought gluten free cup cakes to go with the coffee. Well, I live in Scotland, land of lochs, glens, kilts, and midges. The first three I love, the last is the scourge of Scotland. A nasty wee nigh on invisible insect with a horrible bite. My DH and I live on the edge of a forest, and rattle around in a too big house now our kids have left home. I refuse to grow old gracefully, and go by the adage you're only as old as you feel, (and my DH is younger than me!)
I write romance. I've totted up and Impulse is my 35th adult book. Goodness! They vary in length from short stories in anthologies to 55+k. Some are hot, some not, and they encompass menage, m/m, m/f, and f/f. They vary from Regency through WW2 to contemporary, and can be paranormal, mystery, or straightforward romance, if there is such a thing as a straightforward romance. The one thing they all have in common is love. 

What is your favorite genre to read, and who is your favorite author? Has this author inspired your writing?


You know this is a question I can't really answer. I just love to read and the eReader now means I have space in my suitcase for clothes instead of the book a day I used to take on holiday with me. A few years ago I was lucky enough to meet Robyn Donald, a Harlequin writer, at her home in New Zealand, and she encouraged me to write. But I don’t really have a favorite author or genre. It really depends on my mood, where I am, and how much time I have to immerse myself in the story.

Your writing is erotic. Do you have any difficulty writing the sexy scenes or are they just words to you? 


Well, when I first started I swear I typed some words with my eyes averted… lol. I never used to think so graphically. 
The scenes aren't just words because they are part of the story in my mind, the story I'm telling to my readers. Words make sentences, sentences paragraphs and paragraphs books. I think long and hard once I've sorted out what goes where and how, if you get my meaning. I'm conveying emotions and actions and sometimes you need to be graphic in a non basic biological way. Let's say the only difficulty is making sure its feasible, and having a glass of cold water to hand.

What do you do for fun/relaxation when not writing?


I walk most days with a friend. Read, go on holiday with DH, drink wine, and eat chocolate. Preferably together. And *wink* get inspiration.

What/who inspired you to write your first book? 


My Crit group UCW. We met online, taking part in a competition, and set up a group to help each other. Then we wrote a series of short stories together. Funnily enough, Impulse came from mine. But my first book, Wallflowers Don't Wilt, came about because we were all talking about what we should write and I said "oh, I think I'll write a Regency menage." They nagged and pushed me until I did, checked my m/s, and then decided where I should send it. In fact, Doris O'Connor and I still check each other's stuff before we send it off. We call it 'rediting' short for red-penning. 

In your new release, who is your favorite character? Why? 


It has to be Mia. She is so out of her depth, doesn't want to be there and then thinks, "oh well, what the heck." But she's feisty, funny, and questions everything. I think we both were amazed at how her life changed.


Sounds very interesting. I can't wait to read it! Thanks for stopping by my blog.



Happy Reading,
Love R x


Readers, you can find out more about Raven at the links below. Check the blog tomorrow for an excerpt from her new release, Impulse!


Website: http://www.ravenmcallan.com/
Blog: http://www.ravenmcallan.blogspot.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ravenmcallan
Twitter: https://twitter.com/RavenMcAllan
Sensuous stories to seduce your soul…


3 comments:

  1. I feel very privileged to have been with you every step of your amazing journey, Raven :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah Doris and me you.
    Thanks for inviting me here today Missy, I love visiting

    ReplyDelete