Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2012

SK Saturday: Wolves of the Calla

Okay I have a confession to make. I'm not actually done with this, the fifth, installment of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series just yet. I'm about halfway there and it's very slow going for me.

Part of the problem is I feel no sense of urgency with this one even though I don't remember everything that happens. Of course, the fact that there is more to the series tells us at least Roland carries on the quest after this tale. Another reason may be that it is a slow tale. There's much telling going on and at least three different threads. 

First we have Father Callahan's story. To muddle things up he is the priest from Salem's Lot. That wasn't a problem for me the first time I read this but time has had a way of changing me as a reader. It kind of bothers me now that SK decided to put so much of himself in this book. I know there's much more later on but had forgotten how much was in this one. Not only is Salem's Lot mentioned, but also characters from a few others. It's not confusing to me just kind of annoying.

Second is the story of the Rose sitting in an abandoned lot in New York. The ka-tet has to save it by buying the lot to prevent an evil corporation from doing the same. Right now their plan is simple in word but difficult in deed. It involves time travel, which I'm not a huge fan of in stories, as well as for the cosmos to align correctly and shine favor on them. That's not something SK is known for. We'll see what happens.

Third is what the book is named for, the wolves who are on their way to Calla Bryn Sturgis. The farm/ranch town has been suffering from these invaders for centuries and need heroes to save them and their children. Roland and his crew arrive just on time to do so, but will they succeed? Time will tell.

So right now I'm at the point where all of the stories are told but it still remains to be seen where the chips will fall. I'll get back on it this week in the hopes of finishing by next Saturday.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment